Data Analytics for Governance
Earn a certificate from Information Technology University and atomcamp after the completion of this course.
Enrollments for Data Analytics for Governance are Closed!
A comprehensive training that can help you Launch Your Career in Government or Development Sector.
If you are a Government official, Policy Maker, Researcher or Analyst in the field of Governance and Public Policy this course is designed to help you make better decisions in improving the lives of people.
What you'll learn
The course “Data Analytics for Governance” offered by atomcamp provides participants with a comprehensive understanding of data analysis and visualization techniques as they apply to governance-related data sets in Pakistan. The course covers various datasets such as PSLM (Pakistan Social and Living Standards Measurement) and MICS (Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey), among others. Participants will learn how to analyze and visualize data, explore case studies, and gain knowledge of survey research and design. Additionally, the course emphasizes data strategy, governance of machine learning, cloud computing, and data security.
Who Should Attend?
This course is designed for individuals who are interested in leveraging data analytics for governance purposes in Pakistan. The target audience includes:
- Government officials and policymakers are involved in data-driven decision-making processes.
- Researchers and analysts working in the field of governance, public policy, or social sciences.
- Data analysts and data scientists looking to specialize in governance-related data analysis.
- Professionals from non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and international development agencies working on governance projects in Pakistan.
- Students and Fresh Grads aspiring for career in Government or Public Policy or Development fields.
Module 1: Introduction to Data Analytics for Governance
- Understand the fundamental concepts and principles of data governance, including data ownership, data quality, and data security.
- Identify the key components of a data governance framework and how it applies to governance-related data sets in Pakistan.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the importance of data governance in ensuring data integrity, accessibility, and compliance with regulations.
- Understand the Policy Analysis Process: By the end of the lecture, students should be able to explain the step-by-step process of policy analysis, from problem identification and goal-setting to evaluating policy alternatives and making evidence-based recommendations.
- Identify Stakeholders and Contextual Factors: students should be able to recognize the importance of identifying key stakeholders in policy issues and understand how contextual factors, such as political, economic, and social dynamics, can influence policy decisions.
Module 2: Advanced Excel & Data Cleaning
- Apply advanced Excel functions for efficient data analysis and manipulation.
- Use data validation rules to enhance data accuracy and integrity.
- Create dynamic named ranges for improved data handling.
- Identify and address missing data, duplicates, and outliers in datasets.
- Apply text functions and data transformation methods for data quality improvement.
- Demonstrate proficiency in data cleaning to prepare datasets for analysis.
Module 3: Making Dashboards with PowerBI
- Define key principles of effective data visualization.
- Identify appropriate chart types for specific data representations.
- Navigate and utilize basic functionalities within the PowerBI interface.
- Design interactive dashboards using PowerBI’s advanced features.
- Transform and clean data within PowerBI for visualization purposes.
- Incorporate interactive elements like filters and slicers to enhance dashboard usability.
Module 4: Practice on Analytics: PSLM, MICS, Pakistan COVID-19 Data Set Analysis
- Gain familiarity with various datasets relevant to governance in Pakistan, such as PSLM, MICS, Pakistan COVID-19 Dataset, and EdStats from the World Bank.
- Understand the structure and content of these datasets, enabling participants to explore, analyze, and extract valuable insights from them.
- Learn how to access and utilize these datasets for evidence-based decision making in governance-related projects and research.
- Learn best practices for designing survey questions that elicit reliable and unbiased responses from diverse audiences.
- Gain the ability to develop structured and open-ended questions to collect relevant and valuable data for governance research.
- Understand the importance of piloting surveys to ensure question clarity, relevance, and overall survey effectiveness.
- Understand the purpose and objectives of surveys in policy analysis and governance research.
- Gain insights into various sampling techniques used in survey research and their relevance in collecting representative data.
- Develop an understanding of different survey methods and their applicability to specific governance research questions and data requirements.
- Acquire skills in creating impactful visualizations and reports to effectively communicate survey findings and data-driven insights to policymakers and stakeholders.
- Learn to present survey results in a clear, concise, and visually engaging manner, facilitating data-driven decision-making in governance contexts.
- Understand the role of visualization and reporting in bridging the gap between data analysis and practical policy implementation in the governance domain.
Module 5: Political Economy of Governance
- Analyze how political dynamics shape governance policies and outcomes.
- Explain the influence of politics on policy formulation and implementation.
- Apply concepts to case studies that demonstrate the interplay between politics and governance.
- Evaluate the economic implications of governance decisions.
- Assess the role of economic analysis in effective governance interventions.
- Analyze real-world examples to understand how economic factors impact governance strategies.
Module 6: Project
- Apply data analytics skills acquired throughout the course to a real-world governance problem.
- Collect, clean, analyze, and visualize relevant data for the project.
- Develop a comprehensive presentation showcasing the ability to use data for informed governance decision-making.
- Collaborate effectively with peers and instructors to complete the project within the given timeframe.
Dr. Naveed holds an M.Phil in Economics and a PhD in Urban Affairs and Public Policy from the University of Delaware. Drawing on his experience in teaching urban management, data analytics, and economic policy at prestigious universities, bootcamps, and professional training institutes, he has empowered thousands of students and professionals with the necessary skills to transform intricate concepts into practical, actionable insights. He also helps cities and organizations in optimizing their potential through data-driven strategies.
Dr. Abiha Zahra is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Governance and Global Studies, Information Technology University. She has obtained her PhD in Public Administration from KU Leuven, Belgium. Her research revolved around structural reforms and performance management systems in the State Organizations of Pakistan. She is still working as a distant research fellow with Public Governance Institute, KU Leuven, Belgium while preparing the forthcoming book on Public sector reforms in Pakistan.
Umar Riaz is a civil servant, trainer, and motivational speaker. He topped the all Pakistan CSS exam and has since been involved in training, mentoring, and coaching youth. With degrees in Economics from Pakistan, Public Policy from the US, and Law from Australia, he brings in a wealth of academic skills to add to his interests in critical thinking, analytical writing, and problem-solving. In the essay writing course, he aims to combine knowledge and skills in activity-based training to benefit aspiring civil servants, business professionals, and dynamic students.
Zumer Zia is currently working as a Data Science Advisor and Trainer at atomcamp where she designs and conducts multiple programs, bootcamps, and trainings on Data Science. She also provides consulting services to the Asian Development Bank and has previously worked in various research and communications roles. She has studied Economics & Politics at LUMS.
Join Our Course
Fill out the form to get enroll in course today.
Feel free to ask questions or share your comments with us.
You can also reach out to us by email.